Help! My ORG (Overflow Relief Gully) Is Full Of Sand!

ORG-photoIt’s one of the most common occurrences in Australian residential homes – the blocked ORG! With the primary culprit being children and their tendency to lift the easily removable plastic grate and fill the long drop hole with sand, rocks, garden waste or even small toys, Mainline Plumbing and Cheap Hot Water and Gas have seen their fair share of plumbing problems stemming from this issue.

All properties in Australia require an Overflow Relief Gully (ORG); a grated drain that acts like a relief valve, located outside (usually on the ‘wet’ side of the house) that prevents a blocked sewer emptying its contents into your home. An ORG has a grate that pops out and allows the sewerage to overflow freely outside if you have a blockage in your plumbing, which is also a popular outside play thing for small children and some dogs to remove and take off with.

Some points to remember with ORG’s include:

  • Regular Inspections
  • Check Your ORG’s Height
  • Older Home? Check You’ve Got One.

Regular Inspections

Overflow Relief Gully’s have a major function in your home so it’s imperative to keep them well maintained. Inspect your ORG every so often to make sure that it’s not full of water (which means a blockage) and that it hasn’t been covered up with sand or other ‘matter’ and just check your downpipes and storm water are not connected into the ORG, as it can back up the sewer system (which is not designed to carry storm water).

Check Your ORG’s Height

Usually the ORG is at least 100mm lower than the lowest waste outlet (basin, toilet, shower drain) in your home and at least 150mm above the surrounding ground to prevent storm water flowing into it.

Older Home? Check You’ve Got One.

If your home was built prior to 1976, it won’t have an ORG, but if it has been renovated or you’re looking to renovate the house, you will need to ensure an ORG is installed. No house is ever immune to a plumbing blockage so to not have an ORG on your property means you could find yourself with a nasty mess, an emergency plumbing callout, or worse, an insurance claim.

Who Can Help Me With My Blocked ORG?

If the fixtures in your house don’t drain properly, a quick inspection of your ORG will tell you if the blockage is on the main sewer line or just the pipework from that particular fixture. If the ORG is clear, this indicates the blockage is in the pipework to the fixture itself. If the ORG is full of water, you may find you have a blockage down the line or it’s been filled with foreign matter that shouldn’t be there.

Mainline Plumbing and Cheap Hot Water and Gas are your local plumbing experts and can assist you with all plumbing, hot water and gas problems, repairs and maintenance.

Call today on 9791 1608 in Bunbury or 9759 1317 in Dunsborough.

Photo credits to Power Water.